Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau,Germany Every time I hear the word Castle, I think about royalties and princesses. I think about elegance and beauty. I have never seen such a beautiful, elegant, fascinating, and enchanting castle like Neuschwanstein Castle at the South West Border of the German state of Bavaria located in Hohenscwangau, Germany. A castle that you would typically see in a fairy tale movie and actually it is! Neuschwanstein Castle was the inspiration for Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle and became the inspiration of other Castles in many movies. The scenery is just simply breathtaking and too perfect for a romantic marriage proposal. I am so humbled to be able to visit and step foot on this historical architecture.
Let me tell you a glimpse of the Castle’s History
King Ludwig II called to build the Neuschwanstein Castle. His concept in building the castle was inspired by an architecture theme called Castle Romanticism as well as by Richard Wagner who was a famous Opera Composer and friend of the King. In 1884, the King moved in to the castle despite that the castle was not yet finished. The construction cost of the Neuschwanstein got doubled from the initial plan and Ludwig fell to a debt that reached 14 million marks. It was said that on June 13, 1886 King Ludwig died mysteriously in the shallow shore of Lake Starnberg near Berg Castle. After his death, the Neuschwanstein Castle has been open to the public.
How to get in Neuschwantein Castle from Kaiserslautern
Me and my husband drove from Kaiserslautern to the Castle. They have a good wide space of parking lot just below the castles. It was a 4 hour drive from Ktown. If you plan to take a train you may download DB Navigator for your convenience. The route would usually be from Kaiserslautern HBF–>Mannheim HBF–>Ausburg HBF–>Buchloe–>Fussen(3min walk to)–>Fussen Bahnhof–>Hohenschwangau, Schwangau.
Tips before going to Neuschwanstein Castle
1. Clothing attire – Wear clothing that you will be comfortable with. You might want to bring a jacket even if during summer as the Castle is in a hill so it might get cool or windy besides Germany has crazy weather, one day its sunny and rainy the next day. You can never tell.
2. Proper Shoes – Wear shoes that you are comfortable with. Going to the castle involves a lot of walking, basically hiking. Please don’t wear new shoes, you know what happens when you walk too much with your new shoes, hello blisters!
3. Bring snacks – While you are on top if the hill, you might plan to stay a little bit longer to appreciate and feel the nature and great views. It’s always good to have a snack handy just in case you get hungry.
4. Definitely bring some drinks ( I prefer water or any thirst quencher drink) Like I’ve mentioned earlier, there will be lots of walking in an uphill road so you need to quench your thirst afterward.
5. A really nice camera if possible with different lenses to capture great views perfectly.
(Unfortunately I didn’t have a nice camera yet that time so my photos aren’t that great)
Where to stay for the night
We didn’t manage to stay in the area for the night as Kaiserslautern is just 4 hours drive away from the Castle but for those who prefer to stay I would suggest to book your hotel in advance at Booking.com or choose from these top list. Price and location is just right.
1. Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein for as low as $55/night with 8.1 rating in Booking.com This historic hotel is just a 2 minute walk from Schloss Neuschwanstein castle. It offers spacious rooms, great views of the Alps, and Bavarian food. The Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein has spacious rooms with bright décor. Some feature a modern bathroom. Big breakfast buffets are provided at the country-style Schlossrestaurant. Popular German meals are served here. It features a terrace with scenic views. Free parking is available at the Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein. Füssen town center and train station is just 10 minutes away by car or bus.
- Hotel Alpenstuben for as low as $125/night with 8.5/10 rating in Booking.com In Hohenschwangau, directly below the world-famous Neuschwanstein Castle, this traditional, family-run hotel offers free Wi-Fi and a terrace. Hotel Alpenstuben offers welcoming, country-house style rooms with modern amenities. Some rooms offer views of the castle. Before setting out to explore the region, be sure to stop by the restaurant for a tasty continental breakfast. This is included in the room price. Return to the restaurant in the evening for delicious regional specialties. Both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are within comfortable walking distance from the hotel. The ticket office for castle tours is next door.
Hotel photos courtesy by Booking.com